Skip to main content

Re-Entry: Identity



We are all searching and asking the question, “Who am I?”  Where do I find significance?  

How often do we define who we are by listing the things we have accomplished or achieved?  Demonstrating our significance and identity as being dependent on these lists of accomplishments and achievements. Then using these lists as though they were our credentials or resume for people to recognize who we are by what we have done. 

 

Throughout our whole life we put on various roles both informal and formal to help define who we are. Global Workers also have various roles to help define who they are both when entering a new culture and when in the process of re-entry often are struggling and wrestling with, “Who am I?”

 

Many Global Workers live abroad to be on mission with Jesus, being part of a cause for justice, love, and mercy that is bigger than themselves. The years abroad continue to shape and mold their identity, worldview, values, and beliefs in different and more intricate ways than if they lived those years in their own passport country. 

 

Some may have an identity crisis that is triggered upon re-entry because the many roles, titles, names, and responsibilities are stripped upon returning. The Global Worker is not the same person when they left to live abroad and may struggle and wrestle with identity because of being misunderstood, not able to share their story – being known. 

 

This is why having a community that understands these struggles can provide a space for Global Workers to share their experiences, find common ground, and to be known, and understood. Looking for a community that can understand you as you struggle and wrestle with, “Who am I?” Join 'Are We There Yet? Navigating Re-Entry' Facebook group.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are Not A Role

  You are not your job title.  You are not your productivity.  You are not only the caretaker, the leader, the helper, the strong one.   Those may be things you  do —beautifully, even sacrificially—but they are not the  whole story  of who you are.   Your worth is not defined by your output.  Your identity is not limited to your roles.   Coaching begins when we ask: What would it look like to live from that truer self, even just a little more today?

October Newsletter

  SHANNON’S CORNER The Saga Continues… The trip to Malaysia consisted of a two-day spiritual retreat with the theme of ‘Come Away With Me’ and a six-day conference with about 230 missionaries who serve in some aspect of translating the Scriptures. One of the many people who I met was a missionary who served in Cameroon for many years and now is in a new role. As he was sharing, most his words were very negative and depressive. I encouraged him to sign up for a time of prayer and care. At the end of the retreat, this missionary shared with me that he did have a session and I could see that his whole countenance changed, and he was hopeful. His new word he used to describe where he was now is ‘delightful.’ Our time there was creating a safe space for these missionaries to have a place to share what they are struggling with and to connect with Jesus. One missionary is at a crossroads in her life. Another finds himself in the midst of betrayal. A missionary is in a new role as a caregi...

How to Say No Without Losing Yourself or the Relationship

  For many of us, saying  no  doesn’t feel simple. It feels risky. Vulnerable. Uncomfortable. Maybe even unsafe. We worry: Will they be disappointed? Will I lose connection? Will I look selfish or unhelpful? Will this cost me an opportunity?   And underneath those fears is something deeply human: we all want to belong — without abandoning ourselves to do it. Learning how to say no is not about becoming rigid or distant. It’s about honoring your voice, power, and relationships — all at the same time. It’s about choosing  truth over approval  — while staying kind.   Here’s how to begin.   Step 1: Notice the Pause Before the Yes Most of us say yes automatically. The request comes in and our mouth moves faster than our internal check-in. Practice creating a  pause  — even a sentence like: “Let me think about that and get back to you.” “I need to look at my schedule first.” “I want to be thoughtful and/or pray before I commit.” ...