Skip to main content

Who Are You Becoming?

 


If I asked you to describe who you hope to become in this season of life, what would come to mind?

Not your next accomplishment.
Not your next job title.
Not your next destination.

Instead...

What image, word, or phrase captures the person you are becoming?

Maybe it's a tree with deep roots, standing firm through every season.

Perhaps it's a lighthouse, offering steady light to others while remaining anchored in the midst of storms.

Maybe the word that comes to mind is peace. Or courage. Or whole. Or free.

As we move through life's transitions, it's easy to become consumed with what we have to do next. We make plans, solve problems, and focus on the practical details of change. Those things matter. But transitions are about more than changing circumstances—they are also shaping us from the inside out.

The questions shift from:
What should I do?
to
Who am I becoming?

When we have an image, word, or phrase that reflects the person we desire to become, it becomes a gentle guide. It reminds us what we're moving toward when life feels uncertain. It helps us make decisions that align with our values instead of reacting to every challenge that comes our way.

Maybe this season is inviting you to become more present than productive.

More rooted than rushed.

More trusting than striving.

Growth rarely happens overnight. Like a seed pushing through the soil or a tree slowly adding another ring each year, transformation is often quiet and almost imperceptible. Yet over time, those small moments of choosing courage, extending grace, setting healthy boundaries, or resting when needed begin to shape us.

You don't have to have your entire future figured out.

You only need to keep taking the next faithful step toward the person you hope to become.

So today, pause for a moment.

Ask yourself:

What image comes to mind?

What word captures your heart?

What phrase reminds you of who you want to become in this season of life?

Write it somewhere you'll see it often—a journal, a sticky note on your mirror, the wallpaper on your phone, or inside your planner.

Let it become a quiet reminder that this season isn't just changing your circumstances.

It's shaping who you are becoming.

Remember: Transitions are not simply about arriving somewhere new. They are an invitation to become someone new—someone who is growing in wisdom, resilience, and authenticity with each step of the journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are Not A Role

  You are not your job title.  You are not your productivity.  You are not only the caretaker, the leader, the helper, the strong one.   Those may be things you  do —beautifully, even sacrificially—but they are not the  whole story  of who you are.   Your worth is not defined by your output.  Your identity is not limited to your roles.   Coaching begins when we ask: What would it look like to live from that truer self, even just a little more today?

October Newsletter

  SHANNON’S CORNER The Saga Continues… The trip to Malaysia consisted of a two-day spiritual retreat with the theme of ‘Come Away With Me’ and a six-day conference with about 230 missionaries who serve in some aspect of translating the Scriptures. One of the many people who I met was a missionary who served in Cameroon for many years and now is in a new role. As he was sharing, most his words were very negative and depressive. I encouraged him to sign up for a time of prayer and care. At the end of the retreat, this missionary shared with me that he did have a session and I could see that his whole countenance changed, and he was hopeful. His new word he used to describe where he was now is ‘delightful.’ Our time there was creating a safe space for these missionaries to have a place to share what they are struggling with and to connect with Jesus. One missionary is at a crossroads in her life. Another finds himself in the midst of betrayal. A missionary is in a new role as a caregi...

Healthy Goodbyes = Good Hellos

How do you say goodbyes?  When do like to avoid saying goodbyes?   Have you ever thought that goodbyes are part of loss and the need to grieve?      The year I turned nine I was so excited to be finally old enough to get to go to Seneca Hills Bible Conference Camp and all by myself for the whole week.  I would hear how much fun my older brother had during his weeks at Seneca Hills and now it was my turn.  I was so excited that I had my suitcase packed two months in advance.  It was also the year my parents received the news that we would be moving to a new place which I was also looking forward to a new house because of having my own room finally but going to camp outshined even that news.   I had an amazing week at camp and when my parents came and picked me up on Saturday, my nine-year old self did not realize until pulling up to a new house when the truth hit me that I was not going back to my old house. ...