Skip to main content

When Life Interrupts the Routine

 


This past weekend, I traveled to watch a swim meet. It wasn't a long trip. It wasn't a major vacation. It was simply a few days away from home. Yet once again, I found myself surprised by how even a small trip can throw off my normal routine.

Maybe you can relate.

The things that usually anchor our days—our sleep schedule, exercise habits, meal planning, quiet time, work rhythm, household responsibilities—can suddenly feel out of sync. We return home and wonder why we feel slightly disoriented, tired, or behind before we've even unpacked our bags.

For years, I would become frustrated with myself when this happened. I would expect to jump right back into life as if nothing had changed. I would come home and immediately start tackling the to-do list, trying to make up for lost time.

What I've learned, and continue to learn, however, is that transitions—even small ones—require adjustment.

Travel is a transition.

A change in schedule is a transition.
A weekend away is a transition.
And transitions take energy.

One of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves is permission to acknowledge that reality.

Instead of criticizing myself for feeling off balance, I am learning to expect it. I've learned that it is okay if my routine isn't perfect for a few days. I've learned that a disruption doesn't mean I've failed; it simply means I'm human.

I am also learning the value of creating margin around travel.

Margin before the trip means I'm not frantically packing at the last minute, rushing out the door exhausted before the journey even begins.

Margin after the trip means I don't schedule every hour of my return day. It gives me space to unpack, rest, and mentally reorient before diving back into responsibilities.

That margin has become a form of self-stewardship.

Too often we treat transitions like interruptions that should be ignored. We expect ourselves to move instantly from one season, one event, or one responsibility to the next without pause. Yet our minds, bodies, and emotions need time to catch up.

The same principle applies to larger life transitions.

When changing jobs, relocating, becoming an empty nester, retiring, caregiving, recovering from burnout, or navigating loss, we often want to arrive at our new normal immediately. But growth and adjustment rarely happen that way.

Healthy transitions require space.
They require grace.
They require margin.

If a simple weekend trip can affect our rhythm, how much more should we expect significant life changes to require time and adjustment?

So if you're in a season where things feel a little off, consider whether you're moving through a transition. Ask yourself where you might need more margin. Consider what it would look like to offer yourself the same compassion you would offer a friend.

You don't have to rush your way back to normal.
Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is allow yourself the space to transition well.

Because flourishing through life's transitions isn't about maintaining perfect routines. It's about learning how to navigate change with wisdom, grace, and enough margin to breathe.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are Not A Role

  You are not your job title.  You are not your productivity.  You are not only the caretaker, the leader, the helper, the strong one.   Those may be things you  do —beautifully, even sacrificially—but they are not the  whole story  of who you are.   Your worth is not defined by your output.  Your identity is not limited to your roles.   Coaching begins when we ask: What would it look like to live from that truer self, even just a little more today?

October Newsletter

  SHANNON’S CORNER The Saga Continues… The trip to Malaysia consisted of a two-day spiritual retreat with the theme of ‘Come Away With Me’ and a six-day conference with about 230 missionaries who serve in some aspect of translating the Scriptures. One of the many people who I met was a missionary who served in Cameroon for many years and now is in a new role. As he was sharing, most his words were very negative and depressive. I encouraged him to sign up for a time of prayer and care. At the end of the retreat, this missionary shared with me that he did have a session and I could see that his whole countenance changed, and he was hopeful. His new word he used to describe where he was now is ‘delightful.’ Our time there was creating a safe space for these missionaries to have a place to share what they are struggling with and to connect with Jesus. One missionary is at a crossroads in her life. Another finds himself in the midst of betrayal. A missionary is in a new role as a caregi...

Healthy Goodbyes = Good Hellos

How do you say goodbyes?  When do like to avoid saying goodbyes?   Have you ever thought that goodbyes are part of loss and the need to grieve?      The year I turned nine I was so excited to be finally old enough to get to go to Seneca Hills Bible Conference Camp and all by myself for the whole week.  I would hear how much fun my older brother had during his weeks at Seneca Hills and now it was my turn.  I was so excited that I had my suitcase packed two months in advance.  It was also the year my parents received the news that we would be moving to a new place which I was also looking forward to a new house because of having my own room finally but going to camp outshined even that news.   I had an amazing week at camp and when my parents came and picked me up on Saturday, my nine-year old self did not realize until pulling up to a new house when the truth hit me that I was not going back to my old house. ...