Skip to main content

Liminal Space - Season of Advent

 

One of the things I look forward to is the Season of Advent. My family would gather in the evenings to light the advent candle, read a passage of Scripture, read the small devotional, pray, sing Christmas hymns, and blow out the candle. Maybe what capture me the most was the candles flickering in the dark or singing acapella together as a family or the sense of togetherness and being connected in the quiet evenings. All in all, the anticipation of Christmas Day as we lit the Christ candle and celebrated the birth of Jesus. The waiting was hard, sometimes seemed forever but it was so worth the wait. 

We enter this liminal space in advent. It's a season of waiting and anticipation. The already and not yet. We can experience this liminal space in a variety of ways depending on our situation and circumstances. Some may be excited and anticipating all things Christmas to experience. Others may be very sad and grieving loved ones. Still others may be anxious for all the upcoming social events, activities, and so dreading this season. 

Stop. Pause. Take notice of your liminal space. Notice your thoughts, memories, questions, and emotions that are stirring within you. Who do you want to be in this Christmas season? Who do you want to become? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are Not A Role

  You are not your job title.  You are not your productivity.  You are not only the caretaker, the leader, the helper, the strong one.   Those may be things you  do —beautifully, even sacrificially—but they are not the  whole story  of who you are.   Your worth is not defined by your output.  Your identity is not limited to your roles.   Coaching begins when we ask: What would it look like to live from that truer self, even just a little more today?

October Newsletter

  SHANNON’S CORNER The Saga Continues… The trip to Malaysia consisted of a two-day spiritual retreat with the theme of ‘Come Away With Me’ and a six-day conference with about 230 missionaries who serve in some aspect of translating the Scriptures. One of the many people who I met was a missionary who served in Cameroon for many years and now is in a new role. As he was sharing, most his words were very negative and depressive. I encouraged him to sign up for a time of prayer and care. At the end of the retreat, this missionary shared with me that he did have a session and I could see that his whole countenance changed, and he was hopeful. His new word he used to describe where he was now is ‘delightful.’ Our time there was creating a safe space for these missionaries to have a place to share what they are struggling with and to connect with Jesus. One missionary is at a crossroads in her life. Another finds himself in the midst of betrayal. A missionary is in a new role as a caregi...

Healthy Goodbyes = Good Hellos

How do you say goodbyes?  When do like to avoid saying goodbyes?   Have you ever thought that goodbyes are part of loss and the need to grieve?      The year I turned nine I was so excited to be finally old enough to get to go to Seneca Hills Bible Conference Camp and all by myself for the whole week.  I would hear how much fun my older brother had during his weeks at Seneca Hills and now it was my turn.  I was so excited that I had my suitcase packed two months in advance.  It was also the year my parents received the news that we would be moving to a new place which I was also looking forward to a new house because of having my own room finally but going to camp outshined even that news.   I had an amazing week at camp and when my parents came and picked me up on Saturday, my nine-year old self did not realize until pulling up to a new house when the truth hit me that I was not going back to my old house. ...