Skip to main content

Hurdle #9: Purpose & Role

 

Both purpose and roles shape how we navigate life, guiding our actions, decisions, and relationships. While purpose is often an intrinsic drive, fueled by a sense of meaning, a role is typically the function or position we hold within a structure—whether it be formal or informal.

 

Purpose is like a personal compass that helps us identify what matters most in life, and it is driven by core values. It answers the question, "Why am I here?" Purpose is about discovering what gives our life deep meaning and what fuels our sense of accomplishment. 

 

The roles are the functions or duties that we fulfill within a given context. Roles answer the question, "What do I do?" They exist within a structure, and each has a distinct set of duties and tasks. While roles are assigned or chosen, they can change over time depending on circumstances.  

 

In re-entry, your purpose and roles can change and become unclear that can be disorienting. It is essential to pause, reflect, and debrief to process how your time overseas has changed and impacted you to help discover, clarify, and reorient yourself in knowing and understanding your purpose and roles to move forward in this new season of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are Not A Role

  You are not your job title.  You are not your productivity.  You are not only the caretaker, the leader, the helper, the strong one.   Those may be things you  do —beautifully, even sacrificially—but they are not the  whole story  of who you are.   Your worth is not defined by your output.  Your identity is not limited to your roles.   Coaching begins when we ask: What would it look like to live from that truer self, even just a little more today?

October Newsletter

  SHANNON’S CORNER The Saga Continues… The trip to Malaysia consisted of a two-day spiritual retreat with the theme of ‘Come Away With Me’ and a six-day conference with about 230 missionaries who serve in some aspect of translating the Scriptures. One of the many people who I met was a missionary who served in Cameroon for many years and now is in a new role. As he was sharing, most his words were very negative and depressive. I encouraged him to sign up for a time of prayer and care. At the end of the retreat, this missionary shared with me that he did have a session and I could see that his whole countenance changed, and he was hopeful. His new word he used to describe where he was now is ‘delightful.’ Our time there was creating a safe space for these missionaries to have a place to share what they are struggling with and to connect with Jesus. One missionary is at a crossroads in her life. Another finds himself in the midst of betrayal. A missionary is in a new role as a caregi...

How to Say No Without Losing Yourself or the Relationship

  For many of us, saying  no  doesn’t feel simple. It feels risky. Vulnerable. Uncomfortable. Maybe even unsafe. We worry: Will they be disappointed? Will I lose connection? Will I look selfish or unhelpful? Will this cost me an opportunity?   And underneath those fears is something deeply human: we all want to belong — without abandoning ourselves to do it. Learning how to say no is not about becoming rigid or distant. It’s about honoring your voice, power, and relationships — all at the same time. It’s about choosing  truth over approval  — while staying kind.   Here’s how to begin.   Step 1: Notice the Pause Before the Yes Most of us say yes automatically. The request comes in and our mouth moves faster than our internal check-in. Practice creating a  pause  — even a sentence like: “Let me think about that and get back to you.” “I need to look at my schedule first.” “I want to be thoughtful and/or pray before I commit.” ...