Skip to main content

God's Goodness

Family.

A powerful, impactful word.

Growing up, I can remember there were many times I asked God why he placed me in this family?  Or wished that I could be a part of another family who I thought was cooler and better than my own. Mostly I felt that way because at the time I was not happy with someone in my family to make me not want to be a part of them.  Even though we are born into a specific family unit as babies we are also born into a more global family when we accept Jesus as Savior and are a part of God's family.

Family is important because it shapes and molds us into the people who we are today and who we will become tomorrow.  Family knows who we really truly are.  Family gives us a sense of belonging and security.  Family loves and supports us through the thick and thin.  Family guides and teaches us life's lessons.

These past few weeks, God has given me opportunities in spending quality time with my family.

Playing.  Feeding.  Burping.  Changing.  Chasing.  Sleeping.  Watching.  Cheering.  Being a fan.  Hugging.  Kissing.  Singing.  Laughing.    Holding.  Reading.  Praying.  Walking together.  Sharing.  Talking.  Cooking together.  Reminiscing.  Celebrating.  Eating.  Tickling.

Mary Jane, Kurt, Olivia, James, Rachel, Miro, Jack, Bryan, Britt, Rylie, Morgan, Brenda, Mark, Ryan, and Haylie---I love you all!

Life is short.  Take time to enjoy your family.  Thank God for your family.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are Not A Role

  You are not your job title.  You are not your productivity.  You are not only the caretaker, the leader, the helper, the strong one.   Those may be things you  do —beautifully, even sacrificially—but they are not the  whole story  of who you are.   Your worth is not defined by your output.  Your identity is not limited to your roles.   Coaching begins when we ask: What would it look like to live from that truer self, even just a little more today?

October Newsletter

  SHANNON’S CORNER The Saga Continues… The trip to Malaysia consisted of a two-day spiritual retreat with the theme of ‘Come Away With Me’ and a six-day conference with about 230 missionaries who serve in some aspect of translating the Scriptures. One of the many people who I met was a missionary who served in Cameroon for many years and now is in a new role. As he was sharing, most his words were very negative and depressive. I encouraged him to sign up for a time of prayer and care. At the end of the retreat, this missionary shared with me that he did have a session and I could see that his whole countenance changed, and he was hopeful. His new word he used to describe where he was now is ‘delightful.’ Our time there was creating a safe space for these missionaries to have a place to share what they are struggling with and to connect with Jesus. One missionary is at a crossroads in her life. Another finds himself in the midst of betrayal. A missionary is in a new role as a caregi...

Healthy Goodbyes = Good Hellos

How do you say goodbyes?  When do like to avoid saying goodbyes?   Have you ever thought that goodbyes are part of loss and the need to grieve?      The year I turned nine I was so excited to be finally old enough to get to go to Seneca Hills Bible Conference Camp and all by myself for the whole week.  I would hear how much fun my older brother had during his weeks at Seneca Hills and now it was my turn.  I was so excited that I had my suitcase packed two months in advance.  It was also the year my parents received the news that we would be moving to a new place which I was also looking forward to a new house because of having my own room finally but going to camp outshined even that news.   I had an amazing week at camp and when my parents came and picked me up on Saturday, my nine-year old self did not realize until pulling up to a new house when the truth hit me that I was not going back to my old house. ...