Skip to main content

Stepping Into Something Different

 


I have stepped into a different role and a different routine for eight days. And honestly, it is somethings that I’ve looked forward to. I’m grateful for the opportunity, and I’m especially grateful that I’ll get to spend time with some really awesome people. There is something exciting about stepping outside of your normal routine and experiencing something new.

But I also know that different is different. Even when we are excited about a transition, it can still come with challenges.

I’ve been given instructions and a schedule to help guide me through these eight days. I have some idea of what to expect, but I also know there will be things I encounter that I have never done before. I’ve already had to learn and navigate things that are unfamiliar to me.

And that has reminded me of something important about life transitions: You can be grateful for a transition and still find it challenging.

We sometimes assume that if we are excited about something new, it should feel easy. But stepping into a new role often means learning new expectations, figuring out new routines, asking questions, making mistakes, and discovering that we don’t know everything yet. That doesn’t mean we made the wrong decision. It means we are learning.

There is a difference between being prepared and knowing everything. I have instructions. I have a schedule. I have people around me. But none of those things mean I will know exactly what to do in every situation.

And perhaps that is part of the invitation of transition. We often want a complete map before we begin. We want to know:

What will happen?
What will be expected of me?
What if something goes wrong?
What if I don’t know what to do?
What if I make a mistake?
What if this is harder than I anticipated?

But sometimes transition gives us enough information to take the next step, not enough information to know every step. And that can be uncomfortable. Especially for those of us who like to feel competent and capable.

Stepping into something unfamiliar reminds us that being a beginner is not the same thing as being incapable. Being unfamiliar with something simply means we haven’t learned it yet.

One of the most helpful things we can do during transition is give ourselves permission to be learners.

You don’t have to immediately know the new routine.
You don’t have to understand all the expectations.
You don’t have to get everything right the first time.
You can ask questions.
You can read the instructions again.
You can watch someone else.
You can pause.
You can try something and discover that you need to try it differently next time.

Learning is part of the transition process. And sometimes we are much harder on ourselves than we need to be. We expect ourselves to function in a new role with the same confidence we had in a familiar one.

But that isn’t realistic. When your role changes, your routines change. When your routines change, your rhythms change. And when your rhythms change, it can take time for your whole self to catch up.

I’m thankful that I was given instructions and a schedule for these eight days. The schedule doesn’t remove every unknown. It doesn’t guarantee that everything will go perfectly. But it gives me something to return to.

And that is something we can remember in our own transitions. Sometimes we need structure.

A routine.
A calendar.
A checklist.
A trusted person.
A written plan.
A familiar practice.

These things can provide an anchor when everything else feels unfamiliar. Structure isn’t about controlling every outcome. Sometimes structure simply gives us a place to begin.

As you move through transition, pay attention to what happens inside you.

Does unfamiliarity make you anxious?
Do you become frustrated?
Do you want to withdraw?
Do you find yourself trying to control everything?
Do you become overly dependent on other people’s approval?

Or perhaps you become curious.

Maybe you discover that you are more adaptable than you realized.
Maybe you find yourself laughing at your mistakes.
Maybe you discover a new strength.

Transition gives us an opportunity to learn not only about our new circumstances but also about ourselves. And sometimes the unfamiliar reveals parts of us that we wouldn’t have noticed otherwise. You don't have to have it all figured out.

Maybe you are stepping into a new job.
A new relationship.
A new community.
A new season of parenting.
Retirement.
A move.
A caregiving role.
A different ministry assignment.
Or simply a season where your old routines no longer fit.

You may have instructions.
You may have a plan.
You may even have people supporting you.

But there will probably still be moments when you think, “I’ve never done this before.” When that happens, instead of seeing it as evidence that you are failing, perhaps you can see it as an invitation to learn.

Take a breath.
Look at what you know.
Look at what you need to know.
Ask for help when you need it.
Take the next step.
And then take the next one.

You don't have to navigate the entire transition today. You only need to navigate today.

Maybe these eight days will be smooth. Maybe there will be unexpected challenges. Probably there will be a little of both. But I’m reminding myself that I don’t have to know exactly how everything will unfold to step into it with openness.

I can be grateful.
I can be curious.
I can learn.
I can ask questions.
I can adjust.
And I can trust that different doesn’t have to mean bad.

Sometimes different is simply the beginning of learning something new.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are Not A Role

  You are not your job title.  You are not your productivity.  You are not only the caretaker, the leader, the helper, the strong one.   Those may be things you  do —beautifully, even sacrificially—but they are not the  whole story  of who you are.   Your worth is not defined by your output.  Your identity is not limited to your roles.   Coaching begins when we ask: What would it look like to live from that truer self, even just a little more today?

October Newsletter

  SHANNON’S CORNER The Saga Continues… The trip to Malaysia consisted of a two-day spiritual retreat with the theme of ‘Come Away With Me’ and a six-day conference with about 230 missionaries who serve in some aspect of translating the Scriptures. One of the many people who I met was a missionary who served in Cameroon for many years and now is in a new role. As he was sharing, most his words were very negative and depressive. I encouraged him to sign up for a time of prayer and care. At the end of the retreat, this missionary shared with me that he did have a session and I could see that his whole countenance changed, and he was hopeful. His new word he used to describe where he was now is ‘delightful.’ Our time there was creating a safe space for these missionaries to have a place to share what they are struggling with and to connect with Jesus. One missionary is at a crossroads in her life. Another finds himself in the midst of betrayal. A missionary is in a new role as a caregi...

Healthy Goodbyes = Good Hellos

How do you say goodbyes?  When do like to avoid saying goodbyes?   Have you ever thought that goodbyes are part of loss and the need to grieve?      The year I turned nine I was so excited to be finally old enough to get to go to Seneca Hills Bible Conference Camp and all by myself for the whole week.  I would hear how much fun my older brother had during his weeks at Seneca Hills and now it was my turn.  I was so excited that I had my suitcase packed two months in advance.  It was also the year my parents received the news that we would be moving to a new place which I was also looking forward to a new house because of having my own room finally but going to camp outshined even that news.   I had an amazing week at camp and when my parents came and picked me up on Saturday, my nine-year old self did not realize until pulling up to a new house when the truth hit me that I was not going back to my old house. ...