Skip to main content

Stories...

 SHANNON’S CORNER

February 2021

“People start to heal the moment they feel heard.” –Cheryl Richardson


I have listened to many people’s stories this past month through group debriefs, trainings and one-on-one sessions.  Stories of loss.  Loss of friends, co-workers, family members, identity, roles, safety and so much more.  Stories of transitions.  Moving, transition within their job, schools, staying with family for an extended visit and even in their personal space and time.  Stories where their faith and values were challenged.  Stories of God’s kindness and goodness.

Honestly, there were moments when I felt very inadequate.  I would question myself after the session if I did enough.  Sometimes I didn’t feel like I connected well to the person.  Questioning if I validated the person well as validating is something I am and still need to work on.  Am I asking the right questions for the person to process?  One day when I was preparing for the member care training on debriefing, I came across and read the above quote and it was like God was speaking to me that all He needs me to do is to just listen and He will do the rest.  Trust God in the process.


I finished reading a book called, ‘Sacred Siblings: Valuing One Another For the Great


Commission’ by Sue Eenigenburg and Suzy Grumelot.  These ladies did a big study on how men and women and their marital status affects team life and those expectations.  What I learned and loved is the concept of sacred siblings.  It reminded me of my life since childhood of all the different older couples who became our adopted grandparents each place we lived.  All these years living overseas how God has given me a spiritual family everywhere I lived when I was not near my own family.  Not only do we have our biological family, but we also have our spiritual family.  Do you have a kingdom mindset when it comes to your family?



What is coming up?  I have a number of individual care sessions, a debrief with teen third culture kids, a debrief with an individual, developing some training material, and helping an organization in developing member care for their staff.

I wrote and sent a proposal to my friend, Marlon who serves with BCM Peru.  Marlon shared he would be presenting it to his leadership soon.  The missionaries of BCM Peru recently lost a beloved leader to COVID. Hopefully, within the next few weeks I will hear back if BCM Peru as an organization are interested in receiving member care services or possibly each family will decide if they are interested to receive care.

 

Thank you for those who have given so generously and have joined this partnership!  My goal is to raise at least $25,000 for this coming year 2021.  This will help to cover living and ministry expenses so to reach my goal I still need to raise around $3,000.  As you give, prayerfully consider the “monthly option”-


Donate Online!

http://www.worldoutreach.org/783


Mail Checks:

World Outreach Ministries, Inc.

P.O. Box B

Marietta, GA  30061

(Make checks out to WOM, in memo Shannon Eaton #783)


Bill Pay: free option via online bank

(Use same information as checks)


PRAYER REQUESTS

Praise the Lord for the snow! 

Praise the Lord for fun going sled riding!

Praise the Lord for family visiting me! 

Praise the Lord for my health as my right leg is getting stronger! 

Praise the Lord for being able to attend the Thrive Gather Women’s Conference!

Pray for my finances. I still need to raise $3,000 to reach my goal $25,000 for year 2021.

Pray for community, friendships.

Pray for church community.

Pray for wisdom as I meet with people.

Pray for the 11 missionary families with BCM Peru as the mourn the loss of a beloved leader.


“Instead, we will speak the truth in love, 

growing in every way more and more like Christ, 

who is the head of his body, the church.  

He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. 

As each part does its own special work, 

it helps the other parts grow, 

so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.”

Ephesians 4:15-16



Contact Information:


Shannon Eaton

5055 Stacey Drive Apt. 1604

Harrisburg, PA  17111

(724)967-1437

 

Email:  shannon.eaton76@gmail.com

Facebook:  Shannon R. Eaton

Blog:  www.shannonreaton.blogspot.com

 

Comments

  1. What a blessing you are. We continue to pray for you. Thank you for your updates.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Are Not A Role

  You are not your job title.  You are not your productivity.  You are not only the caretaker, the leader, the helper, the strong one.   Those may be things you  do —beautifully, even sacrificially—but they are not the  whole story  of who you are.   Your worth is not defined by your output.  Your identity is not limited to your roles.   Coaching begins when we ask: What would it look like to live from that truer self, even just a little more today?

October Newsletter

  SHANNON’S CORNER The Saga Continues… The trip to Malaysia consisted of a two-day spiritual retreat with the theme of ‘Come Away With Me’ and a six-day conference with about 230 missionaries who serve in some aspect of translating the Scriptures. One of the many people who I met was a missionary who served in Cameroon for many years and now is in a new role. As he was sharing, most his words were very negative and depressive. I encouraged him to sign up for a time of prayer and care. At the end of the retreat, this missionary shared with me that he did have a session and I could see that his whole countenance changed, and he was hopeful. His new word he used to describe where he was now is ‘delightful.’ Our time there was creating a safe space for these missionaries to have a place to share what they are struggling with and to connect with Jesus. One missionary is at a crossroads in her life. Another finds himself in the midst of betrayal. A missionary is in a new role as a caregi...

Healthy Goodbyes = Good Hellos

How do you say goodbyes?  When do like to avoid saying goodbyes?   Have you ever thought that goodbyes are part of loss and the need to grieve?      The year I turned nine I was so excited to be finally old enough to get to go to Seneca Hills Bible Conference Camp and all by myself for the whole week.  I would hear how much fun my older brother had during his weeks at Seneca Hills and now it was my turn.  I was so excited that I had my suitcase packed two months in advance.  It was also the year my parents received the news that we would be moving to a new place which I was also looking forward to a new house because of having my own room finally but going to camp outshined even that news.   I had an amazing week at camp and when my parents came and picked me up on Saturday, my nine-year old self did not realize until pulling up to a new house when the truth hit me that I was not going back to my old house. ...